MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., July 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Omnicell, Inc. (NASDAQ: OMCL) today announced that ProHealth Care Inc. has implemented Omnicell'sG4 Unity platform of medication management systems throughout its acute and non-acute healthcare enterprise including two hospitals, a remote cancer center and an in-patient hospice, with plans
to expand the use of Omnicell solutions to a new cancer center in the next year. The G4 platform was selected to help ProHealth ensure patient safety and workflow efficiency, save staff time and improve medication management and inventory control.
ProHealth Care is a regional integrated health network with more than 30 sites across Waukesha County in Southeast Wisconsin, which together have about 400 hospital beds. The health network offers a full range of services including home and hospice care, rehabilitation care, primary care and specialty care. The healthcare organization replaced a competitive legacy system with Omnicell after learning about the G4 Unity platform's ease of use, low cost of ownership and presence across the continuum of care. ProHealth Care was impressed with
the greater control of medication distribution and storage that the G4 platform gives clinicians, which is particularly important in facilities without an on-site pharmacy, such as their inpatient hospice.
Launched in 2011, Omnicell's G4 platform is now in use at hundreds of facilities worldwide. The G4 medication management system connects to a single medication database, creating closed-loop tracking of medication location and usage from controlled substance vaults to OmniRx® G4 Automated Medication Dispensing Cabinets (ADCs), and then to the bedside, helping to meet Joint Commission and other regulatory standards for medication administration safety.
"In comparing vendors, we found the Omnicell cost of ownership model provided a much better value than our former leasing model," said Mohammad Kharbat, director of pharmacy at ProHealth Care. "Omnicell's technology is uniquely suited for our network's enterprise that spans acute and non-acute care settings."
"Also, Omnicell's Anywhere RN has proved to be a huge workflow improvement for nursing, and the server technology allows our facilities to manage our medication and supply stock electronically from any desktop," said Mr. Kharbat. "This saves hours of time for staff and allows them to focus on patient care."
The Omnicell G4 platform solutions selected by ProHealth include:
- OmniRx® G4 Automated Medication Dispensing Cabinets (ADCs) known for their durability and ease of use. The ADCs include the Touch & Go™ G4 biometric ID system, designed with state-of-the-art biometric technology to improve efficiency and security. Omnicell's ADCs recently received the "Best in KLAS" honor by the prestigious healthcare research firm KLAS. This marks the eighth consecutive year that OmniRx has received the top award from KLAS.*
- Anywhere RN™ , a web-based application offering nurses a flexible approach to the medication administration process. It is designed specifically for nurses to positively impact their workflow and patient safety by providing real-time remote access to Omnicell ADCs from virtually any computer or workstation in patient care areas.
- Anesthesia Workstation™, automated dispensing cabinets for the operating room designed to provide secure, convenient access to drugs required during surgery and easy documentation of controlled substance use.
- Controlled Substance Management System (CSM) to improve management of narcotics throughout the continuum of care. The CSM provides perpetual inventory management and an automated audit trail to help the pharmacy comply with regulatory standards. It includes a new time-saving purchasing platform to automate the medication ordering workflow with distributors and the Drug Enforcement Administration's Controlled Substance Ordering System (CSOS). The Omnicell CSM system received the top distinction in the 2013 KLAS awards.
"ProHealth Care is an excellent example of how Omnicell helps care providers streamline processes and automate time-consuming manual tasks," said J. Christopher Drew, executive vice president, field operations at Omnicell. "In light of healthcare reform, there are potentially millions more people seeking care, both within acute care hospitals and, more frequently, in other specialized care locations."
"There is a tremendous demand for medication automation and an expanded focus on patient safety and outcomes regardless of where the treatment is delivered," added Mr. Drew. "We are happy to offer solutions that work across the broad continuum of care such as ProHealth's network. We look forward to ongoing support of ProHealth as the organization expands its acute and specialty care facilities while still maintaining the highest excellence in patient care."
About ProHealth Care
For almost a century, ProHealth Care has provided community-based health services to residents in Waukesha County and surrounding areas with the highest quality care to promote health and wellness. More than 125 primary care physicians and specialists offer a full range of services, from fitness and wellness services to primary care and specialty care, hospital care, rehabilitation care, home and hospice care, and assisted and independent living communities. For more information about ProHealth Care, please visit
Since 1992, Omnicell (NASDAQ: OMCL) has been creating new efficiencies to improve patient care, anywhere it is delivered. Omnicell is a leading supplier of comprehensive automation and business analytics software for patient-centric medication and supply management across the entire healthcare continuum— from the acute care hospital setting to post-acute skilled nursing and long-term care facilities to the home.
More than 2,600 Acute Care customers worldwide have utilized Omnicell's medication automation, supply chain and analytics solutions to increase operational efficiency, reduce errors, deliver actionable intelligence and improve patient safety. Omnicell Non-Acute Care solutions, including its MTS Medication Technologies brand, provide innovative medication adherence packaging solutions to help reduce costly hospital readmissions. In addition, these solutions enable approximately 6,000 institutional and retail pharmacies worldwide to maintain high accuracy and quality standards in medication dispensing and administration while optimizing productivity and controlling costs.
For more information about Omnicell, Inc. please visit www.omnicell.com.
*Best in KLAS Awards Medical Equipment & Infrastructure Report June 2013©
2013 KLAS Enterprises, LLC. All rights reserved. www.KLASresearch.com
OMCL - G
- All Omnicell news releases (financial, acquisitions, products, technology etc.) are issued exclusively by PR Newswire and are immediately thereafter posted on the Company's external website, omnicell.com.
- Omnicell and the Omnicell logo design are registered trademarks of Omnicell, Inc. OptiFlex is a trademark of Omnicell, Inc.
- All other brand or product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
SOURCE Omnicell, Inc.