The OR is known as a key revenue center, but if you're manually managing inventory you're vulnerable to lost charges. Manual methods also make it difficult to manage high cost physician preference items – a key target of cost control efforts.
OptiFlex™ Surgical Services (SS) software reduces manual work by automating the physician preference card system. It also accurately tracks usage and costs of operating room supply items – from pre-picking to post-case reconciliation. Surgical Services (SS) manages items stored in both open shelving areas as well as in secure, automated dispensing cabinets.
Improve Profitability With Total Case Costs
Surgical Services (SS) allows you to capture complete case costs to achieve the following:
Reduce inventory — Make better purchasing decisions, reduce excess inventory, and lower costs.
Reduce case costs — Gain greater leverage to push for product standardization.
Reimbursement — Have complete and accurate data accessible for Medicare reimbursement audits.
Be Ready for Unique Device Identifier (UDI) Tracking
Health care providers need to be able to track unique device identifiers (UDI) throughout their inventory distribution processes—from item receipt to use on the patient. Unlike other point-of-use systems for medical supplies, OptiFlex SS is designed to enable UDI chain of custody tracking.
- More easily identify recalled items and determine where that inventory is located.
- Clearly and accurately document UDI implantable information in the EHR.
- With a single scan easily parse and capture lot, serial number, and expiration date off the package bar code at point of care.
After implementing Surgical Services (SS), Billings Clinic achieved the following1:
- Increased charge capture by over $1 million a year
- Labor savings of 5,000 to 7,000 hours per year
- Missing inventory of $300,000 to $400,00 per year reduced to almost zero
1. Billings Clinic case study: Omnicell OptiFlex SS System Dramatically Improves Inventory Management and Financials in the Operating Room, 2011.