Misidentifying or other mishandling of tissue and bone specimens can be catastrophic for the patient and the hospital. Increasingly stringent regulatory requirements for tissue tracking, storage and handling are intended to prevent these problems, but they make a materials manager's job more demanding than ever.
The extra documentation can be daunting. Among other things, hospitals must carefully track the tissue identification banks, licensing agencies, and registration information, as well as the name of the recovery or distribution center.
Handle the Compliance Challenge
The Omnicell Tissue Center addresses these challenges by enabling healthcare facilities to electronically manage and document tissue specimens. An added benefit is the efficiency you will achieve by automating manual tasks. The Tissue Center gives materials and operating room managers more effective control over tissue tracking – including supply movement, storage, replenishment, and billing.
- Saves time spent on manual tissue tracking – up to 60% time savings documented.1
- Satisfies Joint Commission requirements and AORN recommendations for implant and tissue storage and issuance.
- Prevents mishandling of tissue and bone specimens that can cause harm to patients.
- Allows fast and easy electronic access to implant information in case of a recall.
- Improves charge capture accuracy by automatically tracking chargeable specimens.
- Simplifies tissue source information tracking.
1 Based on Omnicell customer data.
- Touch screen interface at the cabinet makes it convenient and simple to use. Tissue source, serial number, expiration date, package viability, and item number are all verified as an item is received using bar code technology to ensure tissue recipient matching and accurate record keeping.
- Stores tissue source records that include licensing agency, registration number, and address to meet AORN and Joint Commission standards.
- Can be integrated with other hospital ordering functions if Omnicell supply systems are used in other areas.
- Promotes efficient tissue tracking, storage and management:
- Tissue specimens may be sequestered and labels printed if needed.
- Issues warnings for expired specimens.
- Allows continuous temperature monitoring for storage refrigerators.
- May be used in open or closed cabinet combinations.
- Automatically tracks chargeable specimens.
- Automatically captures required patient information.
- Generates reports on sequestered specimens.