Unlabeled medications that are issued from the automatic dispensing cabinet but not immediately administered to patients pose a patient safety hazard, and often lead to tedious and unsafe workarounds. Omnicell has a new solution to this dilemma!
Built-in Printer, Built-in Safety
Omnicell is the only company to offer a Medication Label Printer integrated within the automated dispensing cabinet. This unique capability makes it easy to meet Joint Commission requirements to label medications that are issued but not administered immediately, such as IV piggybacks or nurse prepared syringes.
Put an End to “Mystery” Medications
The integrated Medication Label Printer option allows nurses to print patient-specific labels right from the automated medication dispensing cabinet during medication issue. Rather than taking time to handwrite labels, which may be illegible or missing information – or worse yet, to not label at all – nurses can automatically print labels that follow ISMP guidelines. It is a convenient and safe solution for:
- Medications that won’t be administered immediately
- Medications removed from their original packaging
- Pre-mix IV admixtures
- Multi-use medications such as topical, inhalers, and eye drops
The Medication Label Printer is ideal for:
- Cabinets located near procedure areas such as the cath lab or GI lab, where medications are often prepared in advance.
- SinglePointe™ Patient Medication Management users: patient-specific medication can be labeled as soon as it is removed from the cabinet.
How Are Your Nurses Labeling Syringes?
According to a survey of more than 1,000 nurses by the American Nurses Association1:
- 97% worry about medication errors
- 68% believe errors could be reduced with medication syringe labeling
- 37% always label syringes
- 28% never label syringes
Omnicell’s Medication Label Printer provides a convenient way to label syringes and other patient-specific medications with clear and complete information.
Reduce Costs and Increase Nursing Satisfaction
The integrated Medication Label Printer from Omnicell can deliver these benefits to your healthcare facility:
- Reduce medication errors, which can be costly2
- Reduce missing doses and the associated lost time and lost charges
- Reduce waste caused by mislabeled open multi-use medication
- Improve nursing efficiency and satisfaction
1 Grissinger M. Reducing errors with injectable medications: unlabeled syringes are surprisingly common, Pharmacy & Therapeutics. August 2010 35(8):428, 451.
2 According to the “Preventing Medication Errors” report by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, National Academies Press, July 20, 2006, the conservative estimate of 400,000 preventable drug-related injuries in hospitals would result in at least $3.5 billion in extra medical costs that year (2006).