Controlled Substance Management System
Omnicell's Controlled Substance Management System (CSM) improves management of narcotics throughout the continuum of care. It provides perpetual inventory management and an automated audit trail to help the pharmacy comply with regulatory standards while increasing efficiency.
CSM now extends medication accountability beyond the loading dock by providing automated, electronic ordering and receiving to medication distributors and the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Controlled Substance Ordering System (CSOS).
In addition to providing true closed-loop accountability of controlled substances, the intuitive purchasing platform supports system-wide inventory demands, arming pharmacy with vital information to make smarter purchasing decisions. This makes it easier to optimize inventory levels and saves time during the order preparation process. An independent study showed use of CSM1:
Benefits of Centralized Database
The Unity platform provides a single, unified database for the CSM system and Omnicell® medication dispensing automation. Having centralized transactional information provides consistent patient, user, and formulary information across nursing and pharmacy automation systems.
- Single database increases security with less maintenance2
- Intuitive user interface simplifies operational efficiencies2
Supports Variety of Pharmacy Models
CSM supports management of controlled substances in secured dispensing cabinets, refrigerators, and shelving within secured vaults.
1 CSM 17.0 Evaluation Site, Methodist LeBonheur Germantown Hospital, Germantown, TN, 2012.
2 CSM 1.5 Evaluation Site, Methodist LeBonheur Germantown Hospital, Germantown, TN, 2011.
- Streamline system-wide controlled inventory demands to a single purchasing platform for an enterprise view of inventory usage and medication expenditures.
- Automated receiving improves the accuracy of medication costs and drug information introduced into the system.
- Ensures an accurate and timely process for dispensing controlled substances through the hospital.
- Supports compliance with regulatory standards – maintains complete audit trail to ease discrepancy resolution.
- Increases efficiency for the pharmacy:
- Maintains a perpetual item inventory – automated controlled substances inventory log.
- Integrated bar code technology improves the speed and accuracy of data capture.
- Streamlines database maintenance.
Electronic Ordering and Receiving
- Electronic ordering and receiving to drug distributors and the DEA’s Controlled Substance Ordering System:
- Order Schedule II narcotics separately from Schedule III-V’s for direct Controlled Substance Ordering System (CSOS) order processing and audit trail compliance.
- Order controlled substances electronically based on established par levels and reorder points.
- Site-wide ordering and receiving:
- Maintain appropriate inventory levels across your system.
- Reduce stockouts and interference with patient therapy.
- Configure single-step or two-step Receive and Stock settings.
Efficient Means of Compliance
- Shared database with Omnicell automated dispensing systems provides consistent patient, user, and formulary information, streamlining daily database maintenance.
- Controlled substances placed in External Return Bins are queued in CSM as pending transactions, closing the loop on returns and streamlining return processing.
- Concurrent maintenance of primary and secondary inventories.
- Bar code support for all functions: receipt, issue, return, and waste of medications.
- Ability to schedule and email reports:
- Audit-ready transaction reports of varying levels of detail are available.
- Reports may be reviewed on screen, scheduled, emailed, printed, or exported to an electronic file.
- Usage forms for traditional dispensing.
- Automated drug surrendered support and reporting.